Friday, November 21, 2008

A Day Without Gays

So is was browsing around Facebook, and noticed a group that one of my friends was in. It was called "A Day Without Gays". This caught my attention, so I wandered in to check it out. After doing a little research, I found out that this group is about the gay community boycotting everything for a day in order to defend their rights. The introduction goes as follows.

"We are calling for a nationwide strike and economic boycott by all members of our Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered community AND OUR STRAIGHT ALLIES on December 10th, 2008, International Human Rights Day. WHY SHOULD WE DO IT? Because LGBT workers, business owners, consumers and taxpayers contribute over $700 billion to the American economy and we deserve the same rights as all other Americans. (See www.witeckcombs.com/news/releases/20080602_buyingpower.pdf)Because marriage is a basic human right that should be available for ALL Americans, regardless of gender, race OR religion. (See the US Supreme Court Case LOVING v VIRGINIA).WHAT SHOULD WE DO?

Strike: call in gay, shut down your business, or just take the day off.

Boycott: don't buy anything, spend money or support the economy."

I haven't really thought out much what I want to write, so this may end up getting a little scattered and choppy. I guess when I ran across this group, I was very confused. I just feel like it's sending a double message, kinda like "I want rights in my country, therefore, in order to obtain them, I'm not going to do anything to support it". Now, I'm not some angry christian that hates the Gay community. No, I don't support it nor agree with it, but I truly love them. You've heard the age old saying, "Hate the sin, Love the sinner", I really do try to incorporate that into my life. With that said, homosexuality is, in fact, a sin, just as is lying, stealing, cheating, etc., you get the idea. I guess it just saddens me to see so many people in such support of it. It is also bothersome to me that there may come a day where gay marriage is viewed as being just as pure as the marriage I have with my husband. Here is another excerpt from the group:

"WHAT ABOUT TEACHING KIDS ABOUT GAYS? And? That's like saying we should not educate our children about African Americans or the Holocaust or banning any mention of religion, like they did in the former Soviet Union."

What? Really? I'm not really sure what to say about this statement, so maybe someone else has some insight they'd like to share. I mean, I understand teaching children about it in order to protect them, but that was not what they were implying here. I know that a lot of what I have said here would fall on a lot of deaf ears considering I used the word "sin". Therefore I would ask one simply question:

Is it natural?

Putting religion and the Bible aside, for just one moment, what about homosexuality is natural? Nothing. That's all I really have to say right now.

No comments: